Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form
Total Exam Length = 2 hours 30 min.
Section I (45% of grade)
75 Multiple-choice questions, consisting of 2 types of MC questions:
Aural stimulus questions:
Test your listening skill and knowledge about theory largely in the context of examples from actual literature. Some questions will cover aural skills, including melodic dictation and identification of isolated pitch and rhythmic patterns while others may test your skill in score analysis.
Non-aural stimulus questions:
Emphasize knowledge of score analysis, including small-scale and large-scale harmonic procedures; melodic organization and developmental procedures; rhythmic/metric organization; texture; and formal devices and/or procedures. You may also see questions about musical terminology, notational skills, and basic compositional skills.
Section II (50% of grade)
7 Written questions and 2 sight-singing exercises
Written Portion - 45% of exam score; about 70 minutes:
- 2 questions on melodic dictation
- 2 questions on harmonic dictation
- 1 question on part-writing from figured bass
- 1 question on part-writing from Roman numerals
- 1 question on composition of a bass line
Sight-Singing Portion - 10% of exam score; about 10 minutes:
- Sing and record two brief, primarily diatonic melodies (of about four to eight bars)
- You will have 75 seconds to examine and practice each melody and 30 seconds to perform it
- You may sing the melody beginning with the given starting pitch or another pitch in a range that is more comfortable
Exam Date 2017